At the library we can help you find the materials you need to get the job done. We have a variety of resources available for the person doing school, business or personal research. And if we don’t have the materials you need, we can point you in the right direction.
Adult Reference Section
Our reference section includes a wide variety of materials including:
- World Book Encyclopedia 2001 ed
- Encyclopedia of World Biography
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography
- Encyclopedia of Drugs and Alcohol
- A wide variety of dictionaries
- Encyclopedia of Science and Technology
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine
- Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences
- Encyclopedia of Cancer
- Canadian Encyclopedia
- Various government publications and documentation’s
The majority of these materials can not be loaned out, however a few select can be loaned for a shorter time period.
There are a variety of research tools you can use on the internet to find what you are looking for. These next few examples are most importantly credible reliable sources you can use for any purpose.
Ebscohost is an online research database which can search thousands of e-journals containing millions of articles. Our library has a subscription and can be used by our patrons.
Here is a list of functions Ebscohost provides:
- Find a specific journal quickly by using the Find Journals feature.
- Browse through a list of all journals available with the Browse feature.
- Browse a list of subject categories , then view a list of all journals that fall in a category of interest. This allows you to easily find journals that cover specific topics.
- Find specific articles quickly using the Find Articles feature. Search by article title or by the author’s name.
- Find articles that cover a specific topic by searching for keywords in the titles, abstracts, and even full text of millions of articles.
- Read article abstracts and link directly to full text of the articles you find.
- Create your own personal storage area on EJS and fill it with links to journals, issues, or articles that you want to come back to later.
- Set up searches to run automatically and send you e-mail whenever new articles that match your criteria are added to EJS.
To access ebscohost click here and enter the following information:
*note* if the link did not work, go to http://search.epnet.com/
Google Scholar beta
“Google Scholar enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research. Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web.”
To use Google Scholar click here.
For more information on Google Scholar click here.
Need to find a location in north america? Google maps can help. A new amazing tool that will help you find what you’re looking for and even show yo how to get there.
To use google maps click here.
Or check out Google’s new “Google Earth” A 3D representation of the world that works much like Gogle Maps but is much cooler. You will need a computer that has a 3D card, but Google will help you see if you do.
Kids Reference Section
While having a great selection of titles in our Children’s Non-fiction section, we also have a large children’s reference section as well. These materials cannot be taken out because we want them to be available to everyone. Some of our collections include:
- Compton’s encyclopedia
- The New book of knowledge
- People and places
- Encyclopedia of earth and physical sciences
- Young Scientist
- World books Biographical Encyclopedia of Scientists
- Dinosaurs of the World
- Illustrated Encyclopedia of Wildlife
Kids Homework Help
This is a section of our web site that has great links for kids to use when researching for school projects. To visit click here.